• CONNECT WITH US                       

Physicians entering the U.S. to provide direct patient care that is not merely incidental to teaching or research must meet the following requirements to be eligible for the H1B:

  • must have license or other authorization required by U.S. state of intended employment to practice medicine, or is exempt by law therefrom if the state requires such a license or authorization to provide direct patient care.
  • must have full and unrestricted license to practice medicine in a foreign state, or has graduated from a medical school in the U.S.
  • must have passed all steps of the USMLE, or be a graduate of a U.S. medical school.
  • must demonstrate competency in oral and written English by passing ECFMG English proficiency test; OR, show that s/he his a graduate of a U.S.-accredited medical school (many Canadian medical schools are U.S.-accredited). An exception to the above requirements is made for physicians who are of national or international renown in the field of medicine. Physicians entering the U.S. to perform teaching and/or research with direct patient care that is only incidental to such teaching and/or research may also be eligible for the H1B.