Core Leadership Competencies
Effectively foster institutional and faculty research aspirations and accomplishments
Attributes | Assessment Questions | FAQ | Pediatric Leadership Insights | Additional Resources
- Establish a culture that encourages faculty toward clinical, discovery, and outcomes research.
- Pursue a diverse research portfolio supported by external faculty funding
- Establish institutional initial and “bridging” support programs for faculty research.
- Support successful mentorship of early investigators.
- Establish a culture that recognizes scholarly contributions and their impact on child health
- Encourage and support participation in regional and national collaborative trials and outcomes studies.
- Quantify and document research productivity and trends annually.
- Generate shared facility and professional expertise to support research with information technology, biostatistics, epidemiology, and research nurse and assistant personnel.
- Have you completed a research strategic plan?
- What are your program’s research goals?
- Describe your program’s research support portfolio and your program’s research productivity as measured against the program’s research goals.
- Do you provide ongoing grant support for your faculty?
- Can you describe your most successful research mentees?
- Describe the national and regional research collaboratives in which your program participates. If none, which collaboratives are your best opportunity for advancing research in your program?
- How do you encourage team science?
- How have you incorporated DEI or health inequities in your research programs?
- What shared facility and personnel support research at your institution?
What measures of research productivity should we use?
Number and impact factors of publications and total and federal research funding per year.
What percent of faculty research time should be funder?
Funding should be for about 70% of research time and cost.
What percent effort for mentorship is reasonable?
This is highly variable and dependent upon faculty position, but 5-10% is reasonable.
How long should bridge funding be provided?
12-18 months with a requirement for submission of multiple grant applications.
How do we initiate participation in research collaboratives?
Subspecialists and division directors can provide lists of such collaboratives and evaluate the benefits of participation.
Pediatric Leadership Insight
- Cheng TL, Goodman E, et al. Race, Ethnicity, and Socioeconomic Status in Research on Child Health. Pediatrics (2015) 135 (1): e225–e237. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2014-3109.
- Gitterman DO, Langford, WS, Hay, WW. The Frqgile Stqte of NIH Pediatric Research Portfolio. JAMA Pediatrics 172:287-293, 2018.
- Good M, McElroy SJ, Berger JN, Wynn JL. Name and characteristics of National Institutes of Health R01-funded pediatric physician-scientists: hope and challenges for the vanishing pediatric physician-scientists. JAMA Pediatr. 172:297-299, 2018. doi:10.1001/jamapediatrics.2017.4947
Ask Our Experts
Do you have a question or comment you’d like to share with our experts? Your email address will not be published.