As an international physician you’ll need a degree from a foreign medical school and a certificate from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG),

which shows equivalence to knowledge gained in a U.S. or Canadian medical school. To get an ECFMG certificate, IMGs must pass the U.S. Medical Licensing Exam, Parts 1 and 2, pass the ECFMG-administered English language exam and the Clinical Skills Assessment exam. They also must complete a U.S.-based medical residency program. Canadian-trained physicians, by contrast, can be licensed in most U.S. states based on their Canadian exam and training.