Home » Immigration

Immigration in the physician workforce has long served a role in the American healthcare system and its successes. It's important to get all your immigration confusions, questions and headaches, answered through the Immigration community.


Most Recent Terms

  • The "Conrad" 30

    A program, authored by Senator Kent Conrad of North Dakota, that allows any state to sponsor up to 30 IMGs for J waivers each year. Almost every state participates in the program. Like the federal program, IMGs must work in HPSAs or MUAs, but not all...
    by admin on 05-07-2009
  • Sponsoring Agencies

    Several federal agencies currently sponsor IMGs for waivers. These include the Appalachian Regional Commission (ARC), the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), and the VA. The Department of Agriculture (USDA) used to sponsor IMGs for J waivers...
    by admin on 05-07-2009
  • The Fifth Pathway Program

    An avenue by which students who have attended four years at a foreign medical school may complete their supervised clinical work at a U.S. medical school, become eligible for entry to U.S. residency training, and ultimately obtain a license to practice...
    by admin on 05-07-2009
  • Green Card

    IMGs in H-1B status may file for permanent residence or a green card if they wish to stay in the U.S. indefinitely. There are a number of ways IMGs may obtain green cards and the appropriate strategy will depend on each IMG’s particular circumstances...
    by admin on 05-07-2009
  • ECFMG Certification

    The Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) is a private, non-profit organization. ECFMG's organizational members are: American Board of Medical Specialties American Medical Association Association of American Medical Colleges...
    by admin on 05-07-2009
  • IMG

    International Medical Graduates are physicians who have graduated from an accredited medical school outside of the United States. To learn more about assistance and information provided by the AMA to IMGs visit this link: http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub...
    by admin on 05-07-2009
  • HPSA

    Health Professional Shortage Areas (HPSA) is the more commonly used federal shortage area designation (the other designation being MUA/MUP). An area can be designated as having a shortage of: -primary care physicians (family and general practitioners...
    by admin on 05-07-2009
  • HRR (2-year Home Residency Requirement)

    Certain J Visa holders who participate in programs financed in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, by an agency of the U.S. Government or by the exchange visitor's government, or who are nationals or residents of a country which have been designated...
    by admin on 05-07-2009
  • H-1B Visas

    The H1B is a temporary nonimmigrant work permit that allows an H1B holder to work at a sponsoring U.S. employer for an initial period of 3 years, renewable up to six years (sometimes longer in certain circumstances). It is often considered preferable...
    by admin on 05-07-2009
  • J1 Waivers

    A “J visa” requires the holder to return to his home country for two years before being able to practice medicine in the U.S. An exception to this rule may be obtained if a U.S. government agency will sponsor the IMG for a J waiver. Over 1...
    by admin on 05-07-2009
  • MUAs

    Medically Under-served Areas (or Populations) MUA/MUP designations are primarily used for determining areas where Community and Migrant Health Centers can locate. They are also needed to qualify facilities to obtain cost-based reimbursement through their...
    by admin on 05-07-2009
  • O Visa

    Commonly referred to as the “Super Star” visa, granted to physicians and other professionals who can demonstrate “extraordinary ability” in their fields. For a physician, this means multiple publications and citations demonstrating...
    by admin on 05-07-2009
  • O-1 Visa

    O-1 status is a nonimmigrant status category for aliens of extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics. This is an employment related status that allows qualified aliens to live and work in the United States. O-1 status...
    by admin on 05-07-2009
  • Form I-140

    This is the form a sponsoring employer petitions for an alien worker to become a permanent resident in the United States. This form is filed on behalf of an alien, and not by the alien.
    by admin on 05-07-2009
  • IGA Waivers

    Interested Government Agency waivers are issued by various U.S. government agencies allowing physicians to work in the U.S. waiving normal foreign residence requirements. The physician need not work for the sponsoring government agency (IGA). For example...
    by admin on 05-07-2009

Most Recent Questions

E-Learning    |    CPAdvisor    |    AboutUs    |    ContactUs    |    On-Site    |    Sign in
Copyright © 2001 - 2011 CareerPhysician Advisors, LP All Rights Reserved - Powered by